Rory McIlroy said he heard speculation about PIF ending its funding of LIV Golf in March.
Ben Jared, PGA Tour via Getty Images
The saga surrounding the future of LIV Golf, which has taken center stage since news of the Saudi Arabia Public Investment Fund’s planned funding pullback surfaced last month, faded to the background during last week’s PGA Championship, though that’s not to say it wasn’t among the talking points at Aronimink.
Asked during his pre-tournament news conference about his level of surprise over the PIF’s decision, given that he had once advocated for a deal between the PGA Tour and LIV Golf, Rory McIlroy said, “I'm glad I was wrong. I can admit when I’m wrong, and that was one that I did get wrong.”
McIlroy said he had heard speculation about the PIF ending its funding starting in March. “Look, I have friends over there. One of my best friends, Ricky [McCormick], caddies for Tom McKibbin, who’s over there, and I would talk to him all the time about what was going on,” McIlroy said. “I was saying to Ricky … have you guys heard any of this stuff? He was like, no, everything seems OK over here.
“It just feels like the rug was pulled from under their feet and everyone was sort of blindsided by it.”
In his pre-tournament remarks, Jon Rahm dismissed the notion that his decision to join LIV Golf in December 2023 was influenced by the belief that it might prompt an accord between the PGA Tour and the breakaway league.
“I was never like thinking that I was going to be any sort of weight that would tip the scales to make things come together. That was never an argument in my mind,” Rahm said. “I never made a decision based on that.” READ MORE
“Most of the pins today were, I mean, kind of absurd. … This is the hardest set of pin locations that I’ve seen since I’ve been on tour, and that includes U.S. Opens, that includes Oakmont.”
Scottie Scheffler, after posting a second-round 71 in the PGA Championship at Aronimink Golf Club.
EMILEE CHINN, GETTY IMAGES
Seeking to ease the concerns of Rory McIlroy and other European players, the PGA Tour has strongly indicated that it will not abandon its strategic alliance with the DP World Tour should LIV Golf disband after this season.
PGA Tour CEO Brian Rolapp offered a “verbal guarantee” that the tour will continue to back McIlroy’s home circuit, The Telegraph of London reported last Monday. A source with knowledge of the exchange confirmed to GGP that Rolapp provided the assurance at the recent Truist Championship amid ongoing discussions to extend the alliance, which continued last week at the PGA Championship. The source described the discussions’ progress as positive.
The news followed comments by LIV Golf competitor Ian Poulter, who previously suggested to The Telegraph that the DP World Tour “can’t afford for [LIV] to go away.” Poulter resigned his DP World Tour membership in 2023 after losing an appeal against sanctions for playing in the breakaway league.
The PGA Tour and DP World Tour entered the strategic alliance in 2021 and upgraded it in 2022, with the PGA Tour paying an initial $85 million for 15 percent of European Tour Productions – the media segment of the DP World Tour – before increasing its holding to 40 percent. The PGA Tour underpins DP World Tour purses, guaranteeing they won’t fall below specified minimums.
The PGA Tour has also formalized a pathway for DP World Tour players, with the leading 10 not otherwise exempt each season earning dual membership. READ MORE
Jodi Ewart Shadoff, the 38-year-old Englishwoman with a lone LPGA victory to her credit, is closing in on the tour’s record for most holes-in-one in competition.
Ewart Shadoff’s ace on the 12th hole at Maketewah Country Club during Friday’s second round of the Kroger Queen City Championship was her seventh in competition, equaling Vickie Fergon for second place for most holes-in-one on the tour since 1980. Meg Mallon leads the list with eight.
Ewart Shadoff’s seven LPGA aces are among an astounding 17 she has made overall, she told reporters after the round. READ MORE
Tap-Ins
The 2026 PGA Championship awarded a purse of $20.5 million – up from $19 million last year – with winner Aaron Rai earning $3.69 million. The PGA of America announced the purse on Saturday. READ MORE
Global trading platform Capital.com will be the new title partner for the Australian Open, it was announced last Friday. Rory McIlroy will headline the field at Kingston Heath in December. READ MORE
At a hearing last Tuesday, a Florida judge granted prosecutors’ request to subpoena Tiger Woods’ prescription drug records in connection with his March DUI arrest. READ MORE
Compiled by Mike Cullity