CHARLOTTE, NORTH CAROLINA | As another round of rumors swirl about the super lucrative intentions of the proposed Premier Golf League – an idea that is winning points for persistence if nothing else – how close it is to becoming a reality remains the most vexing question.
With reports this week that Phil Mickelson has been offered $100 million to join the proposed international team golf league while others, including Justin Rose, Henrik Stenson and Adam Scott, are supposedly still considering eight-figure offers, the PGL is like a fire that can’t be fully extinguished.
As he tends to do, Rory McIlroy – who months ago said he has no interest in the new league – found the salient point again Tuesday.
“They first contacted me back in 2014, so this is seven years down the line, and nothing has really changed,” said McIlroy, the recently elected chairman of the PGA Tour’s Player Advisory Council.
“Maybe the source of the money’s changed or the people that are in charge have changed, but nothing has happened. No sponsorship deals, no media deals, no players have signed up, no manufacturers have signed up. There’s been so many iterations at this point.”
Depending on who’s talking, the PGL, or “Super League” as it is now sometimes called, has increased the intensity with which it is pursuing players, leading to the latest golf gossip. The concept is driven by Saudi money and, according to the agent of a prominent player being pursued, the budget is essentially unlimited. Leaders of the group rented a house in the Jupiter, Florida, area earlier this year to be closer to some of the players they are targeting.
CLICK HERE TO READ THIS UNLOCKED STORY AT GGP+SIGN UP TODAY AND SUPPORT PREMIUM GOLF JOURNALISM FOR JUST $1 A WEEK